Tomorrow the final chapter of FEAR 2 will go public, along with the highlights for Outlast: Whistleblower, which will start releasing next week. This left Thursday empty, but I have filled it! Not too long ago I was very fortunate and had the opportunity to review the Tobii Eye Tracker 4C, over at Overclockers Club. For the review I focused on its primary purpose, which is to add another interaction layer with games that support it, and to summarize, it does a good job when the game works well. (Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Elite: Dangerous worked very well with it, but two other titles I tested had some issues not necessarily related to the tracker.) The Tracker 4C can also be used to track one's gaze while using any program, so you can see where a person looks as they game. It is not a scientific tool (Tobii has other equipment for that) but it gets the job done in a way I can share.
The video that will go live on Thursday is of Audiosurf 2, using music from the YouTube music archive (so I do not need to worry about copyright issues or even giving attribution for those I used) and has a blue bubble dancing on the screen, following where I was looking as I played. This is actually not the first video I made with the eye tracker, having also recorded a few worlds in Super Meat Boy, but those videos will come out later. Exactly when, I do not know, but eventually. In any case, I am very thankful I now have two kinds of physiological response I can record while gaming, and am looking forward to sharing the recordings. (Now I just need people to share it with!)
No comments:
Post a Comment