Sunday, May 29, 2016

Got a Positive Response!

Something the average person uploading gameplay videos to YouTube probably does not have to worry about is licensing. Short clips of some awesome stunt probably will not draw the ire of a developer or publisher, especially if it is not monetized. But complete playthroughs of games are a different matter, and since that is what I am doing, I have started reaching out to some companies to check on their licensing policies.
Some companies publicly state their policy (like Red Barrel does) but others have not. WB Games has not publicly stated its policy, so you have to email them to check. I did and heard back already that I am good to go, as long as the videos are not monetized. It was not a definitive, "you're good," but more of a, "be respectful and we're cool with it," which is fine with me. I certainly have no intention of being inappropriate with any of these videos, so I am quite happy and looking forward to jumping into some WB published games. I don't want to say which, because I am not sure when I will be able to start recording in them, or when such videos might go public. Have other things in my life to do after all.
Anyway, there is that news, and I am hoping to hear back from another company about its video policy soon as well. Hopefully it will be equally positive, or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment